Texas Research Institute/Austin (TRI/Austin) conducts research and development for both defense and commercial customers in various markets. Our vision is to be a materials technology innovator and to quickly commercialize superior technologies to support the user. To ensure successful commercialization of our proprietary technologies, we carefully select strategic partners to transition innovations to production. TRI/Austin conducts applied research and product development in the areas of advanced materials, composites, polymers, and material health monitoring systems using a staff of highly qualified personnel to meet unique customer needs and requirements worldwide.
- Advanced Polymer Development: We design, optimize, and prototype coatings, adhesives, sealants, foams, lubricants, and other custom polymer formulations for customers with demanding applications. We have a fully equipped material testing laboratory, as well as formulation prototyping and small batch production capabilities.
- Composite Design & Analysis: We can redesign an existing structure or design a new structure as our composites capabilities cover the spectrum from materials development to final production, and include resin formulation, materials selection, solid modeling, finite element analysis, structural analysis, materials testing and characterization, and manufacturing.
- Non-Destructive Testing & Evaluation: Our specialists evaluate different NDE techniques to determine what the best approach is for a particular application. In situations where current techniques do not suffice, TRI also performs R&D to develop new NDE and health monitoring methods and hardware. Techniques include ultrasonic, acoustic emission, & eddy current.
- Sustainment & Structural Health Monitoring: We have focused significant attention on the improved life and sustainment of aircraft, vehicles, ships, and submarines. We work with NDE, advanced D&DT analysis, and structural monitoring to implement longer life into these platforms. We have developed a small lightweight SHM device and we use other products as well for SHM.
- Materials Characterization: We have a fully equipped laboratory to perform physical, chemical, and thermal testing of materials. We also have 25 years of experience performing Accelerated Life Testing including marine environmental exposure.
TRI/Austin works with a variety of government and commercial customers including:
- DoD (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines), NASA, Department of Transportation
- DoD Contractors (Boeing, GD, GE, Lockheed Martin, and others)
- Commercial Companies (ARCO, Chevron, ExxonMobil Dow, DuPont, Kimberly Clark, etc.)